What Happens After an Accident?
The aftermath of an accident is full of uncertainties, but one thing is clear: the actions you take at the scene, and in the hours and days ahead, can have a major impact on your ability to recover compensation for your injuries.
When you really need a Chicago injury lawyer, call Grazian & Volpe at 773.838.8100, toll free at 1.866.494.4878 or send us an email.
At Grazian & Volpe, P.C., we are committed to helping injured people in the Chicagoland area recover medically and economically following serious accidents. Our Chicago accident lawyers have more than 50 years of combined experience in personal injury law. We know that cases are won and lost based in part on the actions taken by injured victims following the accident. We have put together this page to help you understand steps you can take to maximize the likelihood of a successful legal claim.
We invite you to watch attorney John Grazian discuss what to do after an accident during one of his regular appearances on WCIU’s “U & Me in the Morning” television segment.
What You Say and Do Matter
- Call the police: Contact emergency personnel right away. The police will be able to take statements and create a report of the accident. They can also control the scene and make sure it is safe.
- Gather information from the other driver and from witnesses: Getting contact information from those involved in the crash as well as those who saw the crash is vital. Evidence, including the human memory, can quickly fade away after an accident. It is important that your lawyer knows who to contact and to make that contact soon.
- Take pictures: If you have a camera (a cellphone camera is completely acceptable), photograph the scene. Take pictures of the damage to all vehicles and the scene in general. These pictures can become valuable evidence.
- Seek medical attention: Getting immediate medical care is crucial. Your health is priority number one, for you and for the team here at Grazian & Volpe, P.C. You should go to the doctor even if you do not feel hurt. The doctor will examine you and begin the highly important process of documenting your injuries and their severity. A personal injury claim cannot be won without proper medical records.
What To Do Next
Once you have left the scene and have received proper medical attention, the legal aspects of the crash must be contemplated. Here are two important things to do:
- Recognize that insurance companies are not on your side: Insurers are in business for one reason — money. In fact, insurance adjusters often get rewarded by their employers for saving the company money by minimizing the value of an injured person’s claim. You are under no obligation to give any statement to an insurance company, other than basic information like your name and address. Give no more information until you confer with counsel.
- Hire an experienced auto accident attorney: Your ability to get full and fair compensation is limited without legal assistance. A skilled, seasoned injury lawyer can gather facts, apply the law and stand up to powerful insurance companies for you.
The steps you take after an accident are critical. One of the first things to do if you have been hurt is to get in touch with a personal injury lawyer here at Grazian & Volpe, P.C. Your initial consultation is free, and we can explain your options quickly and precisely. Call 773.838.8100 or toll free 1.866.494.4878. You can also contact our Chicago law firm online.