Featured Posts
Warehouse workers at Amazon face similar hazards to workers in any other warehouse. However, according to one study, Amazon workers get injured more than twice as many times as workers in other warehouse jobs. In 2021, there were more than 34,000 serious injuries to employees while on the job at Amazon facilities. Among all warehouse workers in the United States, Amazon employees make up roughly one-third of these workers, but nearly half of all injuries (49%)  happened at Amazon facilities.
Like any personal injury lawsuit, you’ll first need to prove that another person or business entity is responsible for your injuries and was negligent. Where a case becomes more complicated for a self-employed person is in the calculation of lost wages. If you work for someone else, either as an hourly or salaried employee, it is rather straightforward to calculate how many hours or days of work you lost due to your injuries and provide a letter stating what regular compensation and bonuses, commissions, or other forms of compensation you missed out on. You can also include any sick, vacation, or bonus days you had to use during your hospitalization and recovery. If you are self-employed, the process becomes more complicated.
If you’ve been injured on the job, you’ll need to file a claim first with the Illinois Workers’ Compensation Commission. In Illinois, you’re allowed to select your own doctor to treat workers’ comp injuries. This is so that you have a better chance of securing a physician who has your recovery and best interests in mind, rather than one who has a vested interest in the insurance company’s profits.  You will, however, need to secure a doctor who accepts workers’ comp insurance, so make sure you let them know upfront that you were injured on the job, and it will be the company’s insurance policy paying. The doctor will need to know this information ahead of time because the insurer will certainly require the doctor to obtain authorization before performing certain treatments or tests.
If you were injured in a trucking accident in Chicago, Berwyn, Oak Lawn, Cicero, or a nearby community, call the injury attorneys at Lloyd Miller Law for a free consultation.

Call: 773-838-8100

Study Shows Workers’ Compensation Insurance Not Utilized Nearly Enough

Posted By:
Document with stethoscope

Illinois residents know how important workplace safety is and how costly injuries occurring at work can be. Fortunately, workers’ compensation benefits are available to help cover some of these costs.

However, a new study reveals that workers’ compensation insurance was not utilized nearly as much as it should have. Premiums, thus, do not accurately reflect the true cost of workplace injuries and illnesses.

The differences in payments are significant. In 2007, only 21 percent of annual costs for workplace injuries and illnesses were covered by workers’ compensation, with the remaining 79 percent coming from a combination of programs such as Medicare or Social Security. Injured workers themselves also directly paid a large amount of the medical costs.

The results of this study suggest many negative consequences. For instance, taxpayers end up paying higher Medicare premiums and income taxes. Additionally, there is less incentive for employers to promote workplace safety because they might rely on other forms to help pay the cost of workplace injuries.

Is it Dangerous to File a Workers’ Comp Claim?

It is thought that perhaps there is a stigma associated with filing workers’ compensation claims. Many might falsely believe they might be fired or demoted or looked at in a bad light by their employer if they file a workers’ comp claim after being injured on the job.

However, it’s vital for all employee to seek out coverage if they are injured. The law requires employers to pay for their employees to get back on their feet and cannot fire them in any circumstance for filing a claim.

Seeking the assistance of a workers’ compensation attorney who can help you with your claim is advised.

Source: Futurity.org, “Most job injury costs not paid by worker’s comp,” Karen Finney, June 1, 2012

About the Author

Kurt D. Lloyd is a plaintiff’s trial lawyer who focuses on medical malpractice and other catastrophic injury cases. He lives in Chicago and represents injured clients throughout Illinois. He is also the founder of Lloyd Law Group, Ltd.

Chicago accident lawyer Kurt D. Lloyd